Friday, April 20, 2012

My Letter To James

James is a poster in a group that I belong to.He sees no reason to Neuter a male dog.After much debate this was my response.Which by the way,Since I am such a slow typer James had already responded before I posted saying that in actuality his unaltered male had passed away from old age and if he ever got another dog he would probably have him neutered.I guess that means I don't have to make a trip to Animal Control for a guided tour with James...Whew...Shelters cause me a lot of anguish,,,I can only imagine how the animals staying there must feel! Joan Murphy Snow So James...Are you convinced that neutering your Male dog is in the long run a healthier option for your pet than leaving him intact?If I was I betting kind of gal I'd say no .I mean I get it...All the posters except one have been girls an...d it has been my experience (with my husband) that when a dog is neutered you guys "Feel The Pain".But please allow this girl to throw her opinion out there, for what it is worth.It probably is a healthier option for your dog to be neutered.All data points in that direction. For sure your guy won't die of testicular cancer and you MAY enjoy a few more years with him. But neutering a dog is not a guarantee that he won't get another cancer.It has been my experience that after my guys were neutered a SLIGHT change occurred in their demeanor.It didn't happen over night it took a few weeks to develop.It was the fact that their bodies had slowed down the testosterone making progress. Mark my word(As my guys still mark the mailbox post) they're still boys, just a bit calmer and easier to manage.As far as unaltered males being quicker to bite than altered males. There is some data that suggests that but if my memory serves me right I believe the data reads that more dog bites occur when the dog is a CHAINED unaltered male and so the biting probably has more to do with the dog being an under socialized, resident dog then the fact that he is unaltered.Now ...here is the reason so many of us on this page are pro spay/neuter and I think it is something that you have to experience first hand. So let me offer you this invitation,,,Anyone of us will meet you at the animal shelter of your choice so that you may enjoy the company,if ever so briefly, of all of the dogs there, who by the way probably wont be leaving by the front door, They will be taken out the back door in a bag .I know it is harsh but it is the truth.After this experience James if your argument is "I am a responsible owner( I am sure that you are) I don't let my dog wander and breed indiscriminately.Then I wish you well and I will pray that you never drop your leash when there is a dog in heat in the near vicinity.

No comments:

Post a Comment